Monday, March 19, 2012


A little about me, I am 47, I got married to my Sean when I was 19,  having known him for a lengthy 7 months.   It was one of the rightest things I have ever done in my life.

I never wanted to head off to college, for as long as I can remember I wanted to get married and be a mom.
And that is exactly what I did.   Ten months after we were married I had our first son, when he was 3 weeks old we loaded up our Toyota Celica and drove across the United States to Utah so my husband could start his first year at Brigham Young University. 

We were as poor as church mice but so very happy with our little family. 

When my son was 6 months old we found out I was pregnant again, yes, I was the 1% that got pregnant while on the pill.  So before we had even finished our first year in college, we had 2 kids and lived in a very small 2 bedroom apt.  My husband worked and went to school; I waited tables in the evenings.

Our third son was born 2 weeks before Sean graduated from BYU.   Sean worked hard, got a job, and we were on our way.  We built the home that we still live in today and had one more baby… finally a little girl!

When my second son was 16 we took in his best friend and now we have a 4th son, a handsome red head. 

My job was my family.  I loved being  the ‘Kool-Aid Mom’.    We went to the park, had picnics, made tents in the living room, had story book time at the library, and created master pieces of artwork from pasta and finger paints.  As they grew up I think I held every position there was in the PTA, I worked in all of their classrooms, and made my fair share of cupcakes and sugar cookies.  I was able to go on every field trip, sports event, band /choir, drama, event that any of my kids were participating in.  We went on yearly trips to Disney, went on a couple cruises, got scuba certified, and tried to create as many fun filled memories with our kids as possible.

So as far as fulfilling my career as a mom, I did it! I have the best kids in the world and can say truthfully that I enjoyed the journey.

Today I have 4 married sons, with 4 fantastic daughter in laws, my (baby) girl is a freshman at a local University.  I have a 2 year old grandson, a 7 month old grand-daughter who live in Georgia while my son goes to grad school.  For the first time in 28 years Sean and I have no children at home!  My Sean would say I have been married to the mother of my children for a long time… now I get to have my wife!

 I took a job last year that I absolutely hated from day one, and after a year of watching my health and sanity go downhill … decided to resign.

So here I sit… a 47 year young, happily married, with amazing adult children… saying to myself, ‘now what?’
What do I choose to do with my next 47 years?

Decision number one, I think I will start to blog; I have no idea about what, because…
It’s still being written…

1 comment:

  1. cute!! i'm excited to read your blog:) can't wait for more posts!

    ReplyDelete