Friday, May 25, 2012

The 'C' Word

Recently my husband spent the day with a good friend whose son is dying from cancer.  He is young in his twenties, and has been sent home to die with his loved ones gathered around his bedside.  This makes me so  sad, and kept me awake most of last night, just pondering about life and the hard things we all endure, some seem to get more than their fair share.

This disease has hit my family more than I would like to say.  My husband lost his 15 year old brother to  T-Cell leukemia.
 My niece ( http://thefashionbounty.blogspot.com) battled stage 3 non Hodgkin s Lymphoma when she was 15 and kicked it's ass!
Today my sister in law, Sarah  (http://hopeforsarah.blogspot.com)  is valiantly battling cancer and has been for 5 plus years.

I have lost a very good friend to this disease and watched her bravely battle while making baby blankets and booties for future grand babies she would not meet in this world.  Another good friend battled breast cancer and won, but her body is still in pain from all the chemo and surgeries.

Why do bad things happen to good people, the age old question.  Well, I don't have an answer.

So I have to depend on what I do know.

I know that we have a Heavenly Father and I know that we have a Savior Jesus Christ.  I know that they love us.  I know that it is not a race to see who lives longest, I know that adversity is a part of this life, I know that the scriptures are full of bad things happening to good people, our Savior is the perfect example.

Truman G Madsen once asked Pres. Hugh B Brown, why the Lord would put Abraham through the experience of being asked to sacrifice his own son.  Obviously, God knew that Abraham would be willing to do anything God commanded, and if that was so, why did the Lord put him through such a test?  Pres. Brown answered, "Abraham needed to learn something about Abraham.
 I know that when heavy trials have been placed upon me, that is when I have grown/learned the most.  Although I only see that in hindsight, not while enduring them.

I know there is life after this life, I know that we will live again, I know that while we are sad when they leave us there is a great rejoicing and reunion on the other side with family members who have gone before. I know that families really are forever.

SO I cling to what I know and believe, and pray for those who are going through this hard trial, that they may feel the love and comfort that only our Savior can give.

Today Matters!



2 comments:

  1. I needed to read this today, to remind me to bear my testimony when things are especially difficult. My dear friend from my childhood neighborhood has been cancer free for 17 years -- until this week. It is a sad time. And my cousin who had both breasts removed 3 years ago continues to suffer from the chemo/rad treatment -- pancreatitis has kept her in ICU for the past 4 weeks. She's only 43. I feel like the only thing I can do is pray, but My knees are getting sore. You reminded me I can share the "glorious light of the gospel." Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to thank you for your kind words. I'm so sorry to hear of your friend. I would be happy to add her to my prayers as well.
      Sometimes all we can do is count on what we know to be true.
      Thank you again, hang in there.
      Missy

      Delete